GATE 2018 Eligibility Criteria: Engineering is a popular academic course in India and has carved out a special place for itself internationally. Among all the academic courses, engineering courses attract some of the maximum numbers of candidates across the globe and there is no doubt as to why such state exists. Engineering is a highly developed field that offers lucrative opportunities, apart from the world of innovation and technology. Owing to the reputation and prestige of engineering as a course and a profession, there are numerous premier institutes in India that offer engineering courses and subsequently, a promising career in the same.
However, in order to make it into these institutes, there is one great hurdle which is the entrance examination. One such is GATE, which stands for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. GATE is essentially a national level examination that majorly evaluates the understanding in several undergraduate subjects in the field of science and engineering and is organized jointly by the elite Indian Institutes of Technology (abbreviated as IITs) and the Indian Institute of Science (abbreviated as IISc), Bangalore for the purposes of admissions in various post-graduate courses offered by them and other associated institutes. To apply for the examination, one must comply with the following eligibility criteria.
GATE 2018 Eligibility Criteria:
- The candidates who possess a bachelor degree in Bachelor of Engineering (abbreviated as B.E.) or Bachelor of Architecture (abbreviated as B.Arch) of Bachelor of Technology (abbreviated as B.Tech) or Bachelor of Pharmacy (abbreviated as B.Pharm) from a duly recognized university are eligible.
- Candidates who have qualified the Master’s degree in any branch Science, Mathematics, Computer or any equivalent are eligible.
- Candidates who have finished an Integrated Master of Technology (abbreviated as M.Tech)/Master of Engineering (abbreviated as M.E.) or a Dual Degree upon passing the 10+2 or a Diploma or an Integrated Master’s degree programs in Technology/Engineering (a five-year degree course) are eligible to appear in GATE.
- Candidates who have passed a Bachelor’s Degree program in the field of science or a Bachelor of Science (abbreviated as B.Sc.) research or a B.S. post diploma after 10+2 are eligible.
- Candidates who have a degree in M.Sc. or Master of Computer Application (abbreviated as MCA) or Master of Arts (abbreviated as M.A.) in any branch of statistics, computer applications, mathematics or any equivalent are eligible to appear in GATE.
- Candidates who passed Professional Society Examinations that are equivalent to B.E. or B.Tech and duly acknowledged by the Ministry of Human Resources Department (abbreviated as MHRD) or Union Public Services Commission (abbreviated as UPSC), or All India Council for Technical Education (abbreviated as AICTE) are eligible to apply.
- Candidates who are presently enrolled in the final year of the B.Tech or B.Arch program can also apply for GATE provided that they duly submit the certificate from the head of the university or college.
Although the aforementioned bullet points clearly lay down the eligibility criteria, there are a few questions pertaining to the same that often arise in the minds of interested candidates. So, therefore, in the following paragraphs, we shall address some frequently asked questions (abbreviated as FAQs) pertaining to the eligibility criteria of GATE.
Q 1: I have successfully passed in the present year but with a backlog. Am I still eligible to apply for GATE?
A 1: Yes, you can very well apply; however, it is required from you to clear all backlogs before applying for admissions. As far as eligibility at application form level is concerned, backlogs will not be an issue.
Q 2: I have graduated, though I do not have a degree certificate presently. I do have a provisional certificate instead. Will it be sufficient for the purpose of filling in the application form for GATE?
A 2: Yes, you can apply for GATE even in absence of a degree certificate. GATE guidelines provide that a candidate can apply using any of the following: provisional certificate, course completion certificate, degree certificate, membership certificate, or professional certificate issued by the institute or society.
Q 3: I have graduated with 50 percent. Is that sufficient for the purposes of GATE?
A 3: Yes, as far as filling in GATE application form is concerned since GATE does not prescribe any minimum pass percentage. However, when you seek admission or recruitment in Public Sector Undertakings, there will be minimum pass percentage prescribed. Mostly all IITs mandate minimum 60 percent marks in degree and the same is applicable to the Public Sector Undertakings. One exception is the IISc, which admits students with a second class for its M.Tech program provided they secure valid GATE scores.
Q 4: Is there a limit as to the number of times a candidate can appear in GATE?
A 4: No, there is no such limit. GATE guidelines are silent as to the number of attempts a candidate can make. Similarly, it does not prescribe an age bar as well.
Q 5: I have finished my graduation by means of distance learning program. Am I still eligible to apply for GATE?
A 5: Yes, you are eligible to apply for GATE. GATE does not mandate a particular mode of learning but it is required that the mode of learning is duly recognized by the All Indian Council for Technical Education for the purposes of admission in various associated institutes.
Q 6: I have finished my post-graduation and wish to appear for GATE? What is required to be uploaded under certificates?
A 6: In case a candidate has done or is pursuing post-graduation, then the candidate can opt for the minimum required qualifying degree at the time of filling in the application form.
Q 7: I have selected Other Backward Class (abbreviated as OBC) as my category but I can’t seem to find the option to upload relevant documents. What should be done now?
A 7: An OBC candidate is not required to upload an OBC certificate. Such certificate is only required while taking admission by means of the GATE score. Hence, no option to upload a certificate.
Q 8: I have graduated but am not in possession of degree certificate or a provisional certificate. So, what documents should I upload for applying?
A 8: In such a scenario, you are required to upload a copy of the final year mark sheet or a declaration obtained from the Head of the institution .
Q 9: I am presently in the final year of B.Sc. Am I eligible to apply for GATE?
A 9: No, you are not eligible for the same. Candidates who are presently enrolled in the final year of B.Sc. are required to finish Master of Science (abbreviated as M.Sc.) course following B.Sc.
|IMPORTANT LINKS||IMPORTANT LINKS|
|GATE 2018: Complete Details||GATE Books|
|GATE 2018 Syllabus||GATE 2018 Exam Pattern|
|GATE Preparation Tips||GATE Application Form|