GATE 2018: Get Complete Details of GATE 2018 including Organizing Institute, Exam Date, Application Form, Eligibility Criteria, Exam Pattern, Syllabus, Notification, etc. GATE is an online test that examines the detailed understanding of various subjects in the undergraduate Architecture/Technology/Engineering and post-graduate science subjects. The score of this exam is taken into consideration for admission in Direct Ph.D., M.Tech, M.E. and other postgraduate programs in the institutes of higher education in India. The GATE is conducted by IIT Roorkee. Aspiring candidates can obtain all information about this exam in this article.
GATE 2018 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates need to ensure that they fulfill every eligibility requirements before proceeding to the application form filling procedure. The following are the criteria for GATE 2018:
- Holders of the B.Pharm, B.Tech, and B.E. degrees are eligible to appear in the exam, provided that they have either completed their degree course or are in their final year. The qualification year of such candidates must not be later than 2018.
- All those who have a B.Arch degree of five-year duration can also sit in this exam.
- Holders of the B.Sc or B.S. degrees have the eligibility to give GATE 2018. Candidates who are currently in their last year can also appear in it.
- Candidates can have a master’s degree in computer applications, mathematics, science, or statistics.
- The eligibility also extends to those who have completed postgraduate master’s degree programs in technology or engineering.
- Candidates from UAE, Singapore, Ethiopia, Sri Lanka, Nepal, and Bangladesh are also allowed to give GATE 207 exam. They must be either in the final year of their Engineering, Technology or post graduation degree, or must have already completed their graduate or postgraduate degree course.
GATE 2018 Exam Pattern
There will be sixty-five questions in total, and the total marks will be one hundred. This pattern will be applicable for all papers. Out of a hundred questions, ten of them will carry fifteen marks. These ten questions will be asked from GA (General Aptitude).
Fifteen percent of the total marks will be carried by the Engineering Mathematics section in papers of the codes TF (Textile Engineering and Fiber Science), PE (Petroleum Engineering), MN (Mining Engineering), IN (Instrumentation Engineering), EC (Electronics and Communication Engineering), CH (Chemical Engineering), BT (Biotechnology), AE (Aerospace Engineering), XE (Engineering Sciences), PI (Production and Industrial Engineering), MT (Metallurgical Engineering), ME (Mechanical Engineering), EE (Electrical Engineering), CS (Computer Science and Information Technology), CE (Civil Engineering), and AG (Agricultural Engineering).
The section of General Aptitude in the same papers will carry fifteen percent of the total score, and remaining seventy percent of the marks will be allotted to the main subject. Eighty-five percent of the total score is allotted to the main subject in the papers of the codes PH (Physics), GG (Geology and Geophysics), CY (Chemistry), XL (Life Sciences), MA (Mathematics), EY (Ecology and Evolution) and AR (Architecture and Planning). The remaining fifteen percent will be dedicated to the section of General Aptitude.
The question papers will contain both MCQ (multiple choice questions) and numerical questions. In all sections and papers, the MCQ questions will carry one or two marks. These questions will be objective in nature, and each of them will be given with four options. Candidates will have to mark the correct option from these four choices. Like MCQs, the numerical questions will also carry one to two marks in all sections and papers. The answers to these questions will be a real number which will be entered with a virtual keyboard by the candidates. Candidates will be given a scribble pad on which they can do their rough work. This pad must be returned after the completion of the exam.
Must Read: GATE Exam Pattern – Complete Details
For the MCQs carrying one mark, one-third mark will be taken for each incorrect answer. Similarly, for two marks MCQs, two-third marks will be taken for a wrong response. Numerical questions will not be subjected to any negative marking scheme.
Candidates can apply for GATE 2018 exam using only the online mode. The application fee for the women candidates and the candidates of PWD, ST and SC categories is seven hundred and fifty rupees. The rest of them have to pay fifteen hundred rupees. The application fee for the international candidates is fifty dollars. Such candidates cannot avail the facilities of reserved categories. Candidates can pay the application fee by using e-challan facilities, debit or credit card.
Candidates have been given the facility of interacting with the GATE office through an online interface. This interface is called GOAPS or GATE Online Application Processing System. This interface can be used for applying for the exam, and uploading photo, thumb impression, signature, and other documents like category certificate, graduation certificate, etc. The payment of the application fee can be done through this interface, and application form status can also be checked here. In the case of any problems or queries, this interface can be utilized for contacting the GATE office.
The following describes the steps involved in the application form filling procedure:
- Registration: The first step is to complete the registration process. While doing the registration, candidates will have to provide their email id, the GOAPS password, and their mobile number. Since all communications from the GATE office will take place through email, the entered email id must be valid. Candidates are given the facility of choosing a password when they enroll at GOAPS. This password, along with the enrollment id must be kept secure.
- GOAPS Enrollment ID: When the registration process gets finished, an email will be sent to the candidate. This email will contain the enrollment id of the candidate in the GOAPS.
- Information Requirement for Application Form: While filling the application form at GOAPS, a number of details will be asked from the candidates. These details include their personal information, details of their eligibility degree, GATE paper, their choice of exam cities, scanned image of signature, scanned copies of degree certificates, caste certificate and PWD certificate, net banking details, address for communication with PIN code, college address with PIN code, scanned photograph, thumb impression image of high quality, and details of valid identity proof.
- Filling up the Application Form: The GOAPS allows the candidates to enter their relevant data, save the form that is not completely filled, and log out. The filling in can be resumed by logging in. This portal is user-friendly and self-explanatory. Online help regarding the usage of the GOAPS has been made available by the GATE authority.
- Candidates will be able to see the ‘Preview’ of their application before making the payment of the application fee. They must carefully check for any kind of errors in the entered information.
- Once the button labeled ‘Conform & Final Submission’ is pressed, candidates will not be able to change any detail in the application form.
- In case any applicant forgets his user-id and/or password, he can follow instructions given on the portal for retrieving them.
Online Payment Details
- Candidates will be redirected to their selected bank from the GOAPS.
- The web page will show the bank charges and the amount of the application fee. Candidates will need to confirm that the payment being made is for the GATE 2018 exam.
- Applicants will be redirected to the application website once the payment is successful and confirmed.
- In the case of any difficulty due to power failure or internet connection, or in the case of any doubt regarding the successful payment of the fee, candidates can log in to their GOAPS account and see their payment status.
- In case the application fee is deducted from the bank account and there is no acknowledgment of the same in the GOAPS account, then the fee will be credited back to the candidate’s account.
- Applicants can initiate the payment process again by using the GOAPS. This can be done without waiting for crediting of the application fee in the bank account so that the form can be submitted on time.
- The portal will generate a ‘Fee Payment number’ once the application fee payment gets successful. This number must be saved since it will be asked later while filling up of the application form.
- Candidates must make sure that all details and required documents and certificates and uploaded and filled without any error. The submitted application cannot be rectified, and the request of the same will not be entertained by the exam conducting body.
- The status of the application form will get updated after the reception of the application form by the GATE office. GOAPS will show the application form status.
- Candidates are allowed to apply in only 1 of the 23 exam papers that are listed on the GATE website. The candidate himself will be responsible for the appropriate paper choice. Candidates must appear in the exam papers that are appropriate to their qualifying degree. They may select any paper in accordance with their admission plan. However, the eligibility requirements of the institution where one desire to get admission must be kept in mind.
Choice of Exam city
Candidates will be given the option of choosing three cities from the list of exam cities as their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices. It is not necessary for the 2nd and the 3rd cities to be in the same zone as that of the 1st city. The GATE committee has the right of adding a new city or removing an already existing one due to operational constraints.
Candidates will need to provide a passport size photo of their face in their application form. It must a colored photograph, and must be taken in a professional studio. Photos taken using a mobile phone can be rejected. The photo background must either be a very light color or white. Seventy-five percent of the photo’s area must be occupied by the candidate’s face. The main features must not be covered by any shadow, cloth or hair. Chin, eyes, forehead and nose must be given clear visibility.
The signature must be either in blue or black color. Images of only JPEG format will be accepted. Photo of signature taken by a mobile phone will be rejected.
Candidates can download the admit card from the GOAPS. No candidate will receive the exam call letter by email or post. A color printout of the card must be brought to the exam center. Additionally, a valid and original photo id and its photocopies must be carried by the candidates. The details of this id must have been already entered in the GOAPS during the application form filling procedure.
Candidates will not have the permission of taking the exam in the absence of the original photo id. Any of the followings can be specified as the id during the online form filling procedure: employee id card, aadhar card, PAN card, college id card, voter id or passport. Passport is mandatory for international candidates.
The result of GATE 2018 will be made available on the official website of GATE. The validity of the score of this exam will extend to three years, starting from the date of the result’s announcement. The facility of making the result available to the Indian and overseas educational institutes is also available on the payment basis. This will depend on the MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) between the organization desiring to use the exam score and IIT Roorkee. The information regarding the same is available at the IIT Roorkee.
The scorecard of the GATE 2018 can be downloaded by the qualified candidates using the GOAPS portal. The soft copy of the same can be obtained from the GOAPS portal by paying a fee of five hundred rupees.
GATE 2018 Important Links